Thank you for your interest in the Pathways to Improvement online course.
The May and June 2021 classes are now full.
The next classes won't start before October 2021 when the current courses finish. The dates depend on travel plans which have been postponed due to COVID. As soon as I know my plans I will post them here and notify the people on the wait list.
To be notified about future classes before the general public, please join the wait list.
Here is what students in the October 2020 class had to say:
"This course has been a game changer for me in the way I now can give myself permission to stop continually searching for a magic cure which has been both exhausting and defeating over the past fifteen years. I can now focus more on management and finding a new way to live with ME/CFS. This is such a comprehensive course and it is presented in such a systematic way. Excellent value."
"I learned new strategies to deal with my ME/CFS symptoms. I have already incorporated many of them into my daily life and they are making a difference. I also gained access to current, accurate resources. The group format of the classes reminded me that I am not alone in this struggle. I feel empowered. Excellent value."
Pathways to Improvement for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Environmental Sensitivities is a step-by-step guided program to help you feel and live better.
Your guide, Dr. Eleanor Stein, has 30 years of personal and professional experience with these difficult to treat biomedical diseases.
After years of illness and failed attempts at improvement, many with ME/CFS, FM and ES lose hope that improvement is possible. Not so. It is possible to improve your energy, sleep, thinking and pain, to be more joyful, more resilient and to be able to enjoy more of the things you love.
What is Pathways to Improvement for ME/CFS, FM and ES?
Pathways to Improvement is a ten-session online education program designed specifically for people with ME/CFS, FM and ES. Caregivers and healthcare professionals can also gain useful information. Each of the eight pathways includes a preparatory lesson you can do from home on your own schedule and a live webinar with Dr. Stein.
Dr. Stein has been facilitating groups for people with ME/CFS, FM and ES for over 20 years. In her groups, improvement is the rule, not the exception. Now she is sharing what she has learned with you. Pathways to Improvement combines tried-and-tested self-management strategies with neuroplastic strategies.
Pathways to Improvement provides specific, practical and affordable (often free) self-management suggestions. The program can benefit people who are newly diagnosed and those who have been ill for decades and are very knowledgeable.
Why join Pathways to Improvement?
- Dr. Stein is a trusted source of evidence-informed medical information arising from 30 years of personal and clinical experience with ME/CFS, FM and ES. Dr. Stein UNDERSTANDS what you are living with because she has been there herself for more than 30 years.
- Dr. Stein does not endorse any particular product or service and does not benefit in any way from the material presented.
- You will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Stein your questions. She will answer as many questions as possible during each live session and in the bonus live Q&A session.
- If you apply the information you learn in Pathways to Improvement, you may stabilize your symptoms and improve your quality of life. Read testimonials to hear what others say about Dr. Stein’s online course.
What is included in the course?
- Eight educational pathways (lessons). Each pathway consists of a short video introducing the pathway content, recordings of Dr. Stein explaining the content, a pdf of the slides used in the recordings, an awareness exercise to learn how the information applies to you and a wealth of video, audio and PDF resources for those who want to learn more. The preparatory material for each pathway is released two weeks before the live session. You will get much more out of the live sessions if you have at the very least watched the recordings by Dr. Stein, done the awareness exercise and read the recommended chapter in Let Your Light Shine Through.
- You have permission to download and print any of the resources if reading hard copies is easier for you. Please respect copyright.
- Ten bi-weekly 1 hour, 45 minute webinars with Dr. Stein (Getting acquainted session, 8 pathway lessons and bonus Q&A session). Each session has three parts with two breaks of eight-minutes each. In the first part, Dr. Stein reviews the most important information in the pathway. After the first break you will be assigned to a zoom breakout room to meet others and share specific information and experiences. After the second break, time is devoted to Q&A and sharing of successful strategies via the chat.
- Unlimited access to the webinar recordings
- A free download of the manual Let Your Light Shine Through (normally sells for $20)
- A copy of the introduction and Chapter 1: Self-Management from Dr. Stein’s book, More Light
Pathway 1: Biology of Change
Pathway 2: Diagnosis
Pathway 3: Sleep
Pathway 4: Energy and Activity
Pathway 5: Diet
Pathway 6: Persistent Pain
Pathway 7: Environmental Exposures
Pathway 8: Emotions and Stress
More about Pathways to Improvement
Dr. Stein’s experience in working with more than 1,000 patients is that no one recovers from ME/CFS, FM or ES by changing one thing. These are complex conditions that affect many aspects of daily life. The Pathways to Improvement program is like a puzzle composed of many pieces. You have to put several pieces into place for a picture of improvement to emerge.
- In Pathways to Improvement, you will experience the validation that what you experience is real, that millions of others have similar challenges and that even after decades of illness, improvement is possible.
- You will learn strategies to take control of your own health so that you can spend your time, energy and money on what you enjoy instead of on medical care.
- You will be guided to develop a manageable, step-by-step plan to start doing more of what you love.
- As you notice small improvements in yourself and others, you may notice hope and enthusiasm creeping back into your life.
In the 20 years Dr. Stein has been offering in-person self-management groups, these types of improvements are the norm, not the exception. When people realize they have agency and can make their health and lives better, they are off and running down the Pathway to Improvement.
About Eleanor Stein MD, FRCP(C)
As a medical specialist in psychiatry, I have dedicated my practice to ME/CFS, FM and ES for the past 20 years. I got into this field after developing ME/CFS, FM and MCS in 1989. My health symptoms limited my ability to work and function every day for over 28 years. Then about three years ago many of the symptoms, including disabling fatigue, lifted. Why do I think this happened?
Over the past seven years I have been intensively studying and practicing methods of change based on neuroplasticity. Many people, including myself, who stabilized their health with self-management are reporting improvements with these new strategies. The science of neuroplasticity teaches us how to create change. By sharing what I have learned with you, I hope your pathway to improvement will be faster than mine.
People tell me that the experience of being in a group with others who “get it” can be life changing.
Final Notes and Comments
Making the most of the program will require three actions on your part:
- Read the preparatory materials, watch the educational videos by Dr. Stein and participate in the live sessions.
- Learn more about your unique health patterns by doing the daily self-awareness and charting exercises.
- Try new strategies to see what works for you.
Self-management will not solve everything. Everyone’s circumstances are different. The more severely ill you are, the more slowly you will be able to make changes if at all. If you have extremely difficult life circumstances, such as poverty and isolation, your path will be more challenging. If you have untreated medical conditions contributing to your symptoms, these conditions may need to be identified and managed.
All that being said, most people who embark on the self-management path with the benefit of support and accurate information notice improvements.
Pathways to Improvement provides you with that support and information.
“For my U.S. friends who may not know Ellie Stein, she is a medical doctor who practices psychiatry in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and has specialized in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia for decades now. More recently she co-authored the excellent Canadian treatment guidelines known as TOP. Ellie has just released a top-notch online patient-oriented education program entitled “Pathways to Improvement,” which I highly recommend.
There are few programs that guide patients in day-to-day management of their ME/CFS and FM. Ellie Stein takes a fresh and innovative approach that every patient should explore.”
Charles W. Lapp, MD – Hunter-Hopkins Center
The Pathways to Improvement online education course provides education, not medical diagnosis or treatment. Since Dr. Stein does not know your particular medical history or circumstances, she will respond to questions from participants with general answers, which may or may not be suitable for you. Please do not act on any of the information provided without doing your own research and consulting your health-care team.
You are covered by my personal guarantee. All purchases of Pathways To Improvement are fully refundable within 30 days of the start of the course. If for any reason, you don't believe the purchase was worth the investment or if you decide that you will be unable to complete the course, simply send an email to [email protected] with the words 'Refund Request' in the subject line and as long as we receive the request within 30 days from the start of the course (the first live Getting Acquainted call), full payment will be refunded within five business days.
The course introduced new skills and knowledge, all of which, gives me more confidence and hope in moving forward.
I have more acceptance of my health. I have found a better balance between not losing hope but not wasting time chasing medical interventions.
The course has given me a new beginning on my journey. I feel confident now to sit down and create a plan and new goals for my life.
I have a new acceptance of self-management program.
I feel less scattered and I am more aware of my limitations.
I appreciated Dr. Stein’s depth of knowledge and scientific references. It was credible and it was re-assuring to know that there is a body of work and evidence out there in the ME/CFS community.
I am so impressed with your breadth of knowledge and how you can present a very complicated topic in such an easy to understand way.
It gave me awareness of the strategies that I should keep, the ones I can implement more consistently and the new things to try like the sauna.
It is not the end of it but a new beginning on my journey. I feel confident now to sit down and create a plan.
This course provided me with so much important information, that will definitely assist me in my journey to better health. The information was shared in a very clear, precise fashion and questions were encouraged, if clarification was needed!