Thank you for your interest in the Pathways to Improvement online course.
*** THE NOVEMBER 9th CLASS IS NOW FULL ***
The next class is anticipated in April or May 2021.
If you are still interested in this course, you have three options:
1. If you are on the wait list already and wish to stay wait listed so that you receive advance notice of the next class, you do not need to do anything further. We will send you an email when the next class is scheduled.
2. If you wish to guarantee a spot in the next class, you can pay a deposit of $100 now by clicking on the button below. To ensure the course is not oversubscribed we will only accept deposits from the first 60 people. All deposits are fully refundable if you change your mind at a later date.
3. If you wish to go onto the wait list for the next class without a deposit, click on the "Join Wait List Here" button below.
For those of you wondering why the vagueness about the start date of future classes ... I am a person with health limitations. I practice what I teach and am pacing my commitments to ensure that I can deliver on promises I make. To be advised about future classes before the general public, register for either the "Deposit List" or the "Wait List".
Pathways to Improvement for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Environmental Sensitivities is a step-by-step guided program to help you feel and live better.
Your guide, Dr. Eleanor Stein, has 30 years of personal and professional experience with these difficult to treat biomedical diseases.
After years of illness and failed attempts at improvement, many with ME/CFS, FM and ES lose hope that improvement is possible. Not so. It is possible to improve your energy, sleep, thinking and pain, to be more joyful, more resilient and to be able to enjoy more of the things you love.
What is Pathways to Improvement for ME/CFS, FM and ES?
Pathways to Improvement is a ten-session online education program designed specifically for people with ME/CFS, FM and ES. Caregivers and healthcare professionals can also gain useful information. Each of the eight pathways includes a preparatory lesson you can do from home on your own schedule and a live webinar with Dr. Stein.
Dr. Stein has been facilitating groups for people with ME/CFS, FM and ES for over 20 years. In her groups, improvement is the rule, not the exception. Now she is sharing what she has learned with you. Pathways to Improvement combines tried-and-tested self-management strategies with neuroplastic strategies.
Pathways to Improvement provides specific, practical and affordable (often free) self-management suggestions. The program can benefit people who are newly diagnosed and those who have been ill for decades and are very knowledgeable.
In Pathways to Improvement, you will:
- Take steps on the path to a better life.
- Experience a validating and understanding environment.
- Discover how self-management changes your body and brain.
- Explore which strategies are most effective for you.
- Learn how to take your health into your own hands.
Why join Pathways to Improvement?
- Dr. Stein is a trusted source of evidence-informed medical information arising from 30 years of personal and clinical experience with ME/CFS, FM and ES. Dr. Stein UNDERSTANDS what you are living with because she has been there herself for more than 30 years.
- Dr. Stein does not endorse any particular product or service and does not benefit in any way from the material presented.
- You will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Stein your questions. She will answer as many questions as possible during each live session and in the bonus live Q&A session.
- If you apply the information you learn in Pathways to Improvement, you may stabilize your symptoms and improve your quality of life. Read testimonials to hear what others say about Dr. Stein’s online course.
What is included in the course?
- Eight educational pathways (lessons). Each pathway consists of instructional videos of Dr. Stein introducing the pathway content, a pdf of the slides used in the videos, an awareness exercise to learn how the information applies to you, and a wealth of video, audio and PDF resources for those who want to learn more. This preparatory material for each pathway is released two weeks before the live session. You will get much more out of the live sessions if you have at the very least watched the video recordings by Dr. Stein, done the awareness exercise and read the recommended chapter in Let Your Light Shine Through.
- You have permission to download and print any of the resources if reading hard copies is easier for you. Please respect copyright.
- Ten bi-weekly 90-minute webinars with Dr. Stein (Getting acquainted session, 8 pathway lessons and bonus Q&A session). Each session will begin with a summary of the most important information in the pathway and answers to questions submitted ahead by participants. There will be two-five minute breaks. After the first break you will be assigned to a breakout room to meet others and share specific information and experiences among participants. After the second break, Dr. Stein will discuss themes and questions arising in the breakouts and there will be more time for questions.
- Unlimited access to the webinar recordings
- A free download of the manual Let Your Light Shine Through (normally sells for $20)
- A copy of the introduction and Chapter 1: Self-Management from Dr. Stein’s book, More Light
Pathway 1: Biology of Change
Pathway 2: Diagnosis
Pathway 3: Sleep
Pathway 4: Energy and Activity
Pathway 5: Diet
Pathway 6: Persistent Pain
Pathway 7: Environmental Exposures
Pathway 8: Emotions and Stress
More about Pathways to Improvement
Dr. Stein’s experience in working with more than 1,000 patients is that no one recovers from ME/CFS, FM or ES by changing one thing. These are complex conditions that affect many aspects of daily life The Pathways to Improvement program is like a puzzle composed of many pieces. You have to put several pieces into place for a picture of improvement to emerge.
- In Pathways to Improvement, you will experience the validation that what you experience is real, that millions of others have similar challenges and that even after decades of illness, improvement is possible.
- You will learn strategies to take control of your own health so that you can spend your time, energy and money on what you enjoy instead of on medical care.
- You will be guided to develop a manageable, step-by-step plan to start doing more of what you love.
- As you notice small improvements in yourself and others, you may notice hope and enthusiasm creeping back into your life.
In the 20 years Dr. Stein has been offering in-person self-management groups, these types of improvements are the norm, not the exception. When people realize they have agency and can make their health and lives better, they are off and running down the Pathway to Improvement.
About Eleanor Stein MD, FRCP(C)
As a medical specialist in psychiatry, I have dedicated my practice to ME/CFS, FM and ES for the past 20 years. I got into this field after developing ME/CFS, FM and MCS in 1989. My health symptoms limited my ability to work and function every day for over 28 years. Then about 2½ years ago many of the symptoms, including disabling fatigue, lifted. Why do I think this happened?
Over the past six years I have been intensively studying and practicing methods of change based on neuroplasticity. I have found these new strategies to be like a battery boost. Many people, including myself, who stabilized their health with self-management are reporting improvements with these new strategies. By sharing what I have learned with you, I hope your pathway to improvement will be faster than mine.
People tell me that the experience of being in a group with others who “get it” can be life changing. You will see that you are not alone.
Final Notes and Comments
Making the most of the program will require three actions on your part:
- Read the preparatory materials and participate in the live sessions.
- Learn more about your unique health patterns by doing the daily self-awareness and charting exercises.
- Try new strategies to see what works for you.
Self-management will not solve everything. Everyone’s circumstances are different. The more severely ill you are, the more slowly you will be able to make changes. If you have extremely difficult life circumstances, such as poverty and isolation, your path will be more challenging. If you have untreated medical conditions driving your symptoms, these conditions may need to be identified and managed.
All that being said, most people who embark on the self-management path with the benefit of support and accurate information notice improvements.
Pathways to Improvement provides you with that support and information.
“For my U.S. friends who may not know Ellie Stein, she is a medical doctor who practices psychiatry in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and has specialized in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia for decades now. More recently she co-authored the excellent Canadian treatment guidelines known as TOP. Ellie has just released a top-notch online patient-oriented education program entitled “Pathways to Improvement,” which I highly recommend.
There are few programs that guide patients in day-to-day management of their ME/CFS and FM. Ellie Stein takes a fresh and innovative approach that every patient should explore.”
Charles W. Lapp, MD – Hunter-Hopkins Center
The Pathways to Improvement online education course provides education, not medical diagnosis or treatment. Since Dr. Stein does not know your particular medical history or circumstances, she will respond to questions from participants with general answers, which may or may not be suitable for you. Please do not act on any of the information provided without doing your own research and consulting your health-care team.
You are covered by my personal guarantee. You can attend the first three pathways of the Pathways to Improvement course. If for any reason, you don't believe the purchase was worth the investment, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Cancel Course in the subject line and full payment will be refunded within three business days.
The course introduced new skills and knowledge, all of which, gives me more confidence and hope in moving forward.
I have more acceptance of my health. I have found a better balance between not losing hope but not wasting time chasing medical interventions.
The course has given me a new beginning on my journey. I feel confident now to sit down and create a plan and new goals for my life.
I have a new acceptance of self-management program.
I feel less scattered and I am more aware of my limitations.
I appreciated Dr. Stein’s depth of knowledge and scientific references. It was credible and it was re-assuring to know that there is a body of work and evidence out there in the ME/CFS community.
I am so impressed with your breadth of knowledge and how you can present a very complicated topic in such an easy to understand way.
It gave me awareness of the strategies that I should keep, the ones I can implement more consistently and the new things to try like the sauna.
It is not the end of it but a new beginning on my journey. I feel confident now to sit down and create a plan.
This course provided me with so much important information, that will definitely assist me in my journey to better health. The information was shared in a very clear, precise fashion and questions were encouraged, if clarification was needed!