Eleanor Stein B.Sc MD FRCP(C)
Publications and Presentations
Non Peer Reviewed Publications
NEW ARTICLE Stein E. Stormorken E. and Karlsson B. “How to improve therapeutic encounters between patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Health Care Practitioners”.
Stein E., Identifying and Treating Common Psychiatric Conditions Comorbid with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and/or Fibromyalgia.
Comorbid-ME-and-FM-+-psychiatric-disorders.pdf (895 downloads )
Stein E., ME/CFS A Pragmatic Approach. The Canadian Journal of CME July/August 2012 p. 55-57. Go to article
Stein E., Campbell J. Beyond Tired: Helping Patients Cope with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Pharmacy Practice Dec 2008/ Jan 2009 p. 15 – 21. Go to article
Stein E.Assessment and Treatment of Patients with ME/CFS: Treatment Guidelines for Psychiatrists Posted on the internet December 2006 translated with permission into 4 languages.
Peer Reviewed Publications
First Do No Harm: Graded Exercise Therapy and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Comment Posted on July 11, regarding: 2015 Ann Intern Med. 2015;162(12):841-850. doi:10.7326/M15-0114
Lily Chu, Lucinda Bateman, Todd Davenport, Eleanor Stein, Staci Stevens,
The Nature of Fatigue in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Karin Olson, Oksana Simka and Eleanor Stein Qualitative Health Research Feb 26 2015 pii: 1049732315573954.
Abstract can be found at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25721719
Stein,E. Let’s not blame patients for lack of knowledge about Fibromyalgia CMAJ online May 13, 2013 Click here to read the letter and the response from Dr. Fitzcharles.
Steffen,I., Tyrrell,D.L., Stein,E., Montalvo,L., Lee,T.H., Zhou,Y., Lu,K., Switzer,W.M., Tang,S., Jia,H., Hockman,D., Santer,D.M., Logan,M., Landi,A., Law,J., Houghton,M., & Simmons,G. (2011) No evidence for XMRV nucleic acids, infectious virus or anti-XMRV antibodies in Canadian patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS.ONE., 6, e27870.
Stein, E. McQuarrie, M. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Program and Interdisciplinary Research Symposium on Fatiguing Illnesses Workshop/Conference Report. Chronic Disease in Canada. 2009; 29(3). Go to Article in English Go to article in French
Stein,E.Letter to the editor Somatoform Disorders Am. J Psychiatry 2006;163:747.
Stein E., Hunter C. To exercise or not to exercise in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? No longer a question. 2004 Med J Aust. 2004 Nov 15;181(10):579; author reply 579-80
Stein E. Differentiating between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Psychiatric disorder. Proceedings of the 3rd AHMF International Meeting on CFS, Sydney, Australia Dec 9, 2002.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Overcoming the attitudinal impasse. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 2001;8(3/4): 53-61.
Attitude-Paper.pdf (741 downloads )
Awards & Distinctions
2007 13th Annual Florence Nightingale award from the Edmonton ME Society for continued support in the area of education, awareness and research on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
2007 John MacLennan Award of the Canadian Society for Environmental Medicine for Excellence in the field of Environmental Medicine.
- Somatic Symptom Disorders in DSM-5: A step forward or a fall back.? Presented at the Alberta Psychiatric Association March, 2013 Banff, Alberta.
- SSD in DSM-5 Powerpoint Presentation
- Management of ME/CFS, FM and MCS: 10 Commonly Used Treatments. University of Calgary .
- Differentiating ME/CFS and Psychiatric Disorders. Invited lecture at the patient day of the International Association of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Ottawa, Canada September 2011. Go to video
- Why Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is not a Psychiatric Disorder. Invited lecture at Women’s College Hospital, Toronto Ontario for the ME Association of Ontario. Sept 15, 2010. Go to audio
- Treatment Advances in Fibromyalgia. University of Calgary Annual Therapeutics Update March 4 2010.
- Diagnosing and Managing Depression in Patients with Chronic Pain. Invited workshop at the 2009 Chronic Pain day, Calgary Alberta Dec 4, 2009.
- 9 Point Treatment Checklist for ME/CFS, FM and MCS. Invited CME to Sunridge Mental Health Clinic November 17 2009.
- 9 Point Treatment Checklist for ME/CFS, FM and MCS. Invited CME to Calgary Shared Mental Health. October 13, 2009
- >Heart Rate Variability in ME/CFS. Public presentation for International ME day in Edmonton May 11, 2009.
- Differentiating ME/CFS from Psychiatric Disorders. Presented October 24th 2008 at U of C CME program on ME/CFS.
- Differentiating CFS from Psychiatric Disorders-2008.pdf (542 downloads )
- Managing the Meltdown: Psychotherapeutic approaches to ME/CFS. Presented November 8th 2008, U of C CME program on ME/CFS.
- Identifying and treating psychiatric symptoms in patients with CFS/ME. Workshop at the 2008 Alberta Psychiatric Association Annual Conference April 5, Banff Alberta.
- CFS 101: Diagnosis and Treatment Basics. Workshop at the 2008 University of Calgary Annual Therapeutics Update April 4, Calgary Alberta.
- Beyond Behavioral Interventions in ME/CFS Invited presentation at the annual MERUK research conference May 2007 Edinburgh Scotland.
- Behavioral Interventions in ME/CFS and FM: What a difference a decade makes Keynote address at the 8th Conference of the IACFS January 2007, Fort Lauderdale Florida.
- The Biological Basis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Presented at the Global Perspectives on Chronic Disease: Prevention & Management, the Calgary Conference October 2005.
Peer Reviewed Conference Posters
Stein, E., Pearson, M., Fernandes, F., Boyd, H. Development of Standardized Patient Scenarios as a teaching tool for ME/CFS. Presented at the 10th International Association of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Ottawa, Canada September 2011.
Stein, E., Stormoken E. Working Successfully With Patients Who Have Contested Conditions: The Case of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Presented at the 10th International Association of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Ottawa, Canada September 2011.
Taub, E., MacIntosh, B.R., Stein, E. Tolerance to Repeated Maximal-Effort Exercise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Presented at the 9th International Association of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Reno Nevada, March 2009.
Stein, E., Fennel, P., Bested, A., van de Sande M., Valverde, C. Overcoming Systemic Barriers to Effective Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) in Canada. Presented at the Global Perspectives on Chronic Disease: Prevention & Management, Calgary, Alberta October 2007.
Stein, E. Comparing Heart Rate Variability in ME/CFS and Healthy Controls during orthostatic challenge using commercially available software. Presented at the 8th IACFS Conference, Fort Lauderdale, Florida Jan 2007.